Should light hearted be hyphenated?Asked by: Garrett Jacobi
Score: 4.4/5 (55 votes)
He says in a footnote – I love books with good footnotes – that the Oxford English Dictionary hyphenates light-hearted, but “on the same page heartbreaking appears as one word, while heart-rending and heart-stopping both have hyphens”.View full answer
One may also ask, Is it light-hearted or light-hearted?
Someone who is light-hearted is cheerful and happy. They were light-hearted and prepared to enjoy life.
Furthermore, Is light-hearted a compound word?. “Light-headed” and “lighthearted” will get you every time. ... Most other words involving “light” are open, as in “light pen;” the exceptions are “light-headed” and “light-rail.” When the word “light” is the last element in a compound, it's spelled solid. Examples: flashlight, candlelight, etc.
Just so, How do you use light-hearted in a sentence?
- Children are lighthearted and playful with the teacher. ...
- Trollope's lighthearted dismissal of the castle's terrors seems to signal that her modern text will eschew the gothic's clumsy machinations. ...
- The majority of what accumulates is serious, but it is leavened with the lighthearted as well.
Is lightheartedness a word?
Not being burdened by trouble, worry, or care; happy and carefree.
cheery, joyful, blithe, happy, glad, merry, jovial, jocund.
But Why Is It Important? Being lighthearted and playful can improve our mood and help us loosen up and let go. Taking time to play relaxes us, is a form of stress relief, and fights depression. It is good for our heart/immune system and gives our internal systems much needed rest.
Someone who is light-hearted is cheerful and happy. They were light-hearted and prepared to enjoy life. Something that is light-hearted is intended to be entertaining or amusing, and not at all serious.
1 : free from care, anxiety, or seriousness : happy-go-lucky a lighthearted mood. 2 : cheerfully optimistic and hopeful : easygoing they can be lighthearted in the midst of misery— H. J. Forman.
(laɪt ˈkɒmədɪ) a play or film which deals with its subject matter in an amusing and lighthearted way. Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers.
To be carefree (one word) is to be happy and relaxed. People tend to be carefree when they're not working or thinking about work or school. Being carefree is the opposite of being stressed out.
With a carefree, uplifted attitude; in a happy or gladdened state. Though it was, of course, bittersweet to leave my friends and family behind, I did so with a light heart because of the amazing opportunities that awaited me in Europe.
Someone who tends to be happy and upbeat is lighthearted. When you are shopping for greeting cards, the lighthearted ones are the ones with the corny jokes, not the ones with pictures of dramatic sunsets. Words like joyful, blithe, and happy-go-lucky capture the sense of lighthearted.
: despondent, saddened. Other Words from heavyhearted Synonyms & Antonyms Example Sentences Learn More About heavyhearted.
Comedy Comedies have light hearted plots that are consistently and deliberately created to amuse and to provoke laughter. The comedy genre."
- Smile to become instantly more likeable, attractive and approachable. ...
- Laugh whenever possible. ...
- Feel. ...
- Let Go of trying to exert power over others. ...
- Acknowledge your Humanness or you will waste energy trying to be perfect. ...
- In-joy Yourself as you only get one free supply of your life.
- Use unscheduled time to be creative, to daydream, reflect and decompress.
- Appreciate playtime – whether it's alone or with other adults or children.
- Smile and laugh often throughout the day.
- Try new things and experience the unexpected.
- Surprise each other. Routine can get old – whether that's what you cook, how you dress, or even the way things go down in the bedroom. ...
- Educate each other. ...
- Take him on his dream date. ...
- Workout together. ...
- Take an interest in his job. ...
- And then don't… ...
- Friends-cation. ...
senseless. shallow. sportive. superficial. tongue-in-cheek.
In this page you can discover 16 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for kindhearted, like: generous, merciful, compassionate, altruistic, good, humane, benign, kind-hearted, kind, goodhearted and beneficent.
LIGHTHEARTED (adjective) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary.
@CourtOsen Lighthearted means carefree, cheerful.
- Laura went to go see a light-hearted film to put her in a better mood.
- The woman speaks in a light-hearted manner that can cheer up anyone she meets.
- Decorating her classroom in a light-hearted way, the teacher hoped to create a happy-go-lucky atmosphere.
Anything that keeps you in a state of excitedly (or nervously) waiting for something to happen is suspenseful. ... Things that cause a feeling of suspense—being unsure, excited, or scared about what is to come—are suspenseful.